Hi everyone! I’m Shanna from Restoration Redoux here for my monthly post.
Today I am sharing a vintage cane back chair makeover.
Can you believe summer has already arrived? Only a few days of spring here in Kansas. We went from freezing temperatures, straight into the 100 degree weather.
I am a summer girl, and I love having my teenager home with me. As a blogger, you can get kind of lonely home, all by yourself most of the time, so it is nice to have her here.
We are both total night owls, and we love to stay up late watching old movies. For the last two summers, I have made her watch the classics with me (apparently movies from my generation are classics according to her): Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Say Anything, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She complained about having to watch them, but afterward she actually admitted to liking them, and I have even caught her watching them on her own a time or two.
I love not forcing her stay on top of her homework, and she loves not hearing me nag (not as much anyway).
I love grilling out and not having to wear a sweatshirt to paint in.
Kids playing outside until dusk and hearing the splashing of the pool behind our house.
I love yard sale season, drive-in movies and lightening bugs.
Speaking of yard sale season I got this great cane back chair at one the other day. It looked dated and the peach velvet was faded.
First, I cleaned years of filth and grime off of it.
Next, I removed the seat cushion and painted all of the wood with Plaster Paint in Sweet Cream.
After two coats of paint, I distressed the entire piece, coated with a clear wax, and the I buffed it off.
Next, I took Plaster Paint’s SeaBreeze and made a 50/50 combination of paint and water.
I then used a squirt bottle filled with plain water, and I sprayed-down the surface of the chair (to help it take the paint better), and then I painted on the 50/50 mixture.
I went over all of the upholstered parts twice, once with the 50/50 mixture, and twice with just straight paint.
I then went back and touched up any areas that needed it.
I’m not going to lie, I had to use a lot of paint.
At that point the fabric had become crunchy, so I then coated all of the fabric with clear wax which softened it right up!
This was my first time painting an upholstered piece and I was a little weary of how it would turn out but I was really happy with it! It looks a heck of a lot better then it did before!
If you would like to see more of my craft or furniture projects please check me out at any of the links down below! See you next month!