Howdy there everyone!
Hope you all enjoyed your long holiday weekend. We sure did! I would say summer is officially over. The temps are not telling us the same though. It’s mighty hot here in the South.
Though, I did stay cool indoors one day and turned on the oven. I was craving Chicken Parmesan.
My family and I love Chicken Parmesan. In fact, we love all Italian food. This dish we order out often when we go to a place that we know has good Italian food.
I, however make Chicken parm on occasion myself at home.
Today, I am sharing a low fat Chicken parmesan made with home made wheat bread crumbs.
It is weight watcher friendly and I do give you the point value. I even use low fat mozzarella.
Rest assured the taste is not compromised whatsoever.
My family does not know the difference and I don’t tell them that I took out a lot of calories. It’s more for myself than the boys, that is for sure!
I love all Fit and Active products sold at Aldi’s. They really are great and a lot better for you. I use jarred sauce for this recipe.
Emerils, home style Marinara is also low in calories and pretty flavorful.
You see my work space. Glass cutting board, home made bread crumbs and
pyrex baking dish with a layer of sauce on the bottom ready.
Making home made bread crumbs is a cinch.
And believe it or not, a whole lot better for you than the store bought ones. I learned that a long time ago, not only in weight watchers
but from a personal trainer. I have a few tips over there if you are interested about reading my experience with one.
Ready to go!
Low fat Chicken parm
- 6 large chicken breasts trimmed off fat
- 2 egg whites
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 1 bag of shredded low fat mozzarella
- fresh rosemary to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- six slices of whole wheat bread
- Take your slices of whole wheat bread and place with tongs on rack of oven directly set at 250 degrees. Leave in oven until hard and golden brown, about 30 minutes; darker if you prefer. Remove and cool on wire rack. Crumble slices into a large bowl until reduced to fine crumbs, or place in bowl of food processor and process until fine. Add your seasonings, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- It’s your choice what seasoning you may like.
- I then spread them out on a cookie sheet for easier prep and coating.
- Next I take my casserole dish and lightly spray with Pam or cooking spray, I like the olive oil.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom.
- Take your trimmed chicken breasts and dip them first in egg whites, then in your home made bread crumbs, lightly on each side and be sure it is coated well.
- Place single row in your casserole dish. Add sauce on top, sprinkle mozzarella, Parmesan, add fresh basil leaves,rosemary, salt,pepper and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Oven times and temps vary.
Enjoy and hope to see you back again if you are not a regular.
I share, home decor, crafts, recipes, and just in general LIFE!
Oh my gosh Debbie my Dad would love this…definitely putting it on our rotation!
I love this lightened up version – Looks so good that I could eat it for breakfast = )))
Hi Debbie, what a wonderful recipe. It looks so good and healthy too. I would have to sub for the wheat being gluten free, but that can be done.
Thanks for sharing and thank you also for stopping by my spotlight on Kris’s blog. Your visit and comment blessed my heart.
Yummmmm. We did chicken enchiladas tonight. The Chicken Parm recipe is something we need to add to our list.
This is a keeper!! I am most definitely pinning and even more most definitely trying.
I love Chicken Parm….yours looks delicious and love the fact that you make homemade bread crumbs.
“Low Fat” grabbed my attention, and I am definitely going to make this. I hate buying breadcrumbs, because they have so much crap in them, but I don’t know why I never thought to make them. Thanks for two ideas!
Made this last night as our red and white Valentine’s supper.