I’m so happy to be back here at Debbiedoo’s and today I am sharing one of my oldest recipes.
Fresh Blueberry Coffee Cake. This is my sister-in-law’s recipe and she gave it to me right after I got married. I guess maybe she was worried that her brother might starve.
There were some moments in the beginning when I was worried myself…I had some very epic fails in the kitchen. Live and learn though…we never went hungry
Over the years I’ve passed this recipe on to friends and other family members. It’s easy, quick and you should have all the ingredients in your pantry except for the blueberries!
The recipe makes an 8 x 8 cake but it can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13. The amount of blueberries can be adjusted according to your taste. I don’t like it chuck full of berries so I use about 1 cup. If you are a berry lover than pack them in!
Fresh Blueberry coffee cake
- ¼ c. Crisco
- 1 egg
- ¾ c. milk
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ t. salt
- 2 ½ t. baking powder
- 2 c. flour
- 1 ½ to 2 c. fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend first four ingredients with a mixer until smooth.
- Combine salt, baking powder and flour in a separate bowl.
- Add slowly to Crisco mixture.
- Beat until completely smooth.
- Carefully fold in blueberries with a spatula. Pour into 8 x 8 greased pan.
- For topping: Combine ½ c. sugar, ⅓ c. flour, ½ t. cinnamon. Cut in ¼ c. soft butter. Sprinkle over blueberry batter. Dot with additional butter if desired.
- Bake 40 – 50 min. or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13.
You could try whole wheat flour and maybe unsalted butter for the Crisco. I know shortening isn’t used much anymore.
It’s delicious just the way it is! Besides, it’s not on the menu every day. A splurge once in a while is good for the soul.
I’m new to Instagram and love it. If you are an IG peep, click HERE to follow me.